John EnglishBiography | Medals | Glossary
Born in 1873, he was commissioned in June 1900, as a Second Lieutenant, in the 5th Volunteer Battalion DLI. When the Volunteers became Territorials in 1908, he joined the 9th Battalion DLI at Gateshead. In April 1915, he went to France, as Major and Second in Command of 9 DLI, and fought at the 2nd Battle of Ypres, before he was invalided home in July 1915. John English, a mining engineer in civilian life and manager of Heworth Colliery, served as a Chief Air Raid Warden during the Second World War. He died in April 1962. His son, Ian Roger English, served with the 8th Battalion DLI during WW2 and was awarded the Military Cross and two bars. His medals are also on display in the medal room.
Return to DLI Collections home page.