Object of the Month
Coatee, Teesdale Volunteers
Officer's Full Dress Coatee, Teesdale Volunteer Infantry, 1803-09. This scarlet wool jacket with black velvet facings (collar and cuffs) was worn by Captain Hugginson of Romaldkirk in Teesdale. The buff leather cross belt has a gilt plate with the inscription 'TVI'. The Teesdale Volunteer Infantry or Teesdale Volunteer Legion was raised in Barnard Castle in 1803 by Colonel Morritt of Rokeby Park, North Yorkshire, with a strength of 600 men in 11 companies. In 1809, the TVI became part of the 1st Durham Local Militia. This is a rare surviving example of Napoleonic Volunteer uniform from County Durham. For further reading, 'Faithful: The Story of The Durham Light Infantry' by S G P Ward (1962) provides an overview of the Napoleonic Volunteers in County Durham. Acc No: 1002
Return to DLI Collections home page.