Glass, Volunteer Infantry
Engraved Glass Goblet, Chester le Street Volunteer Infantry, 1804. This wine goblet, which holds two pints of liquid, was made on Tyneside. It was part of a set presented to the Officers' Mess of the Chester le Street Volunteer Infantry by their first commanding officer, Major Richard Bell, who was a local surgeon. This goblet has been engraved with the letters 'RB' (Richard Bell), figures of an officer and 4 volunteers performing drill movements and the motto 'Chester Lads For Ever'. The Chester le Street Volunteer Infantry was raised in 1803, when Emperor Napoleon's France was threatening to invade England, and disbanded in 1811. Acc No: 1910
Return to DLI Collections home page.