Tunic, North Durham Militia
Bandboy's Full Dress Tunic, 2nd North Durham Militia, about 1865. This small, red woollen jacket has white facings (collar and cuffs), blue piping, bandsman's wings and 'slashed' cuffs. The white metal buttons have a Queen's crown above the letters 'NDM'. In 1853, the Durham Militia was divided into the 1st South Durham Militia in Barnard Castle and the 2nd North Durham Militia in Durham City. In 1881 the North Durham Militia became the 4th Battalion DLI. This bandboy's tunic is the only example of pre-1881 Militia Other Rank's uniform in the DLI Museum's collection. For further reading on the Durham Militia - 'The Durham Light Infantry' by W L Vane (1914) and 'Faithful: The Story of The Durham Light Infantry' by S G P Ward (1962). Acc No: 2728
Return to DLI Collections home page.