Jacket, Staindrop Cavalry
Officer's Full Dress Light Cavalry Jacket, Staindrop Cavalry, 1798-1815. This scarlet wool jacket has black velvet facings (collar and cuffs), white cord 'frogging', and plain silver domed buttons. The Staindrop Gentlemen and Yeomanry was raised in 1798 by John Ingram of Staindrop, with a strength of 54 officers and men. In 1803, the Regiment changed its name to the Staindrop Volunteer Cavalry. It survived until 1815, when it became part of the Durham Yeomanry. This is a rare surviving example of Napoleonic Volunteer cavalry uniform from County Durham. For further reading, 'Faithful: The Story of The Durham Light Infantry' by S G P Ward (1962) provides an overview of the Napoleonic Volunteers in County Durham. Acc No: 2918
Return to DLI Collections home page.