Shako, South Durham Militia
Officer's Shako, 1st South Durham Militia, 1861-1868. This shako (hat) is made from cork with a dark blue cloth cover and leather peak and chin strap. The red and white wool ball tuft is held in a silver claw. The 1st Durham Militia had its headquarters in Barnard Castle in south-west County Durham. In 1881 this Regiment became the 3rd Battalion DLI. Acc No: 1013
Return to DLI Collections home page.